Campus parking not ideal, students say
It's 9:45 a.m. and University at Albany junior Sean Prokes pulls out of his spot downtown to go to his 10:15 a.m. class.
"A half an hour should be plenty to get to class from downtown," he said, stepping out of his blue Jeep.
But after pulling into the Colonial Parking lot, he realized it was not. Prokes looked for a spot for 10 minutes before conceding to the back of the lot.
At UAlbany, there are 10,609 registered student vehicles. There are 4,892 parking spots for students among on the uptown and downtown campuses and on Alumni Quad.
For staff, there are 3,435 registered vehicles to 1,401 staff spots.
After 4 p.m. staff spots are available to students, but most classes are over by then.
On Tuesday morning, nearly the entire student lot on Colonial Quad was full while there were only a handful of cars occupying the mostly empty staff lot.
Rose Dorsman, director of parking and mass transit at UAlbany, believes that there is nothing to be concerned about.
"The University believes that there are an adequate number of parking spaces on the uptown campus because everyone is not on campus at the same time," Dorsman said. "However they may not all be as close to the academic podium as everyone would like, which is the general crux of any parking complaints received."
Ryan Farrell, a senior at UAlbany, no longer drives to school but when he did he said that it was a horrible experience.
"When I leave for class I plan on finding a spot in a reasonable amount of time," he explained. "But it usually takes me 10 minutes to find a spot. It's usually a far spot."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Albany Student Press News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ALBANY STUDENT PRESS NEWS
- Obama visits UAlbany
- New restaurant in Campus Center brings burritos and controversy
- Foreign language classes drastically reduced at the end of this semester
- Five Quad transports mummies, not patients for Albany Institute of Art
- Women's basketball team looks back on its historic season
- Iati announces return for one more season on the court
- UAlbany will not give vacations for Easter, Passover in 2012-13, leaving...
RECENT ALBANY STUDENT PRESS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...
- 5 Tips for Healthy Eating as We Age